Thursday, June 23, 2011

Small and Simple things

Big changes are coming in my life. I am about to serve a mission, and leave everything I know behind. But I realized today that every time I have a major change in my life approach, the Lord has given me little blessings to help me know how to handle the change. This month has been FULL of those.
Today I had a conversation with a couple of the students in the Summer Program that I'm a councilor for approach me about my religion. They flat out told me that they are interested in the LDS church. They had very good points too. For example: They felt as if their religion was just there for them. It is only as tangible as their gender, or their hair color. It's there, but they don't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I have noticed this with a lot of people. They claim to be Catholic, Jewish, Methodist, etc. but never go to church, or don't live by the actual standards of their religion. It only goes skin deep.
But these specific students really want something more than that! I respect them so much for coming up to me and expressing their interest. I hope that I said the right things, and had a good impact on them. But I think it had more of an impact on me.
I walked away from that conversation feeling SO good about my decision to serve a mission. I've been a little nervous about talking to people about something that is as dear to my heart as my faith. But it was actually strengthening! I was able to express my love for the LDS religion and how important it is to me. They could see that and I hope it sparked something new inside them.

I am so lucky that the Lord cares enough about me and my confidence about serving a mission, to offer me experiences like these to strengthen me. I know that everything will work out just fine, and that the Lord really follows through with his promises: "As you serve with all your heart, might and strength, the Lord will lead you to those who are prepared to be baptized." (this is in my mission call letter)
I can't wait to have experiences like this all the time for the next 18 months! I am so blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment