Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mission Call!

I got my mission call on Thursday!! But since I am a camp councilor at UVU for Upward Bound, I couldn't open it till Saturday. So my wonderful aunt Maria offered to drive me 2 hours one way to take me home and open it, then come back a couple of hours later.
I am going to the South Dakota, Rapid City mission. This is a HUGE area spanning across All of north and South Dakota, parts of Montana, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota. So there is a TON of work to be done and I'm so honored that the Lord has given me this opportunity to get the work moving along in the mid-west United States. It's only an hour and a half plane ride away from home so I will be able to visit as often as I can afford. A one way ticket there costs around $300 so I'm so lucky! Plus my Grandpa's sister and her family lives in that mission. I had the distinct feeling that wherever I go I will have a family connection to the place.
There is a Facebook group for this mission and I looked it up and joined it. The description is: The place we never thought we would go.
But I have to disagree with that. I had North Dakota and Montana in mind all week long. I know the Lord was preparing me to be called to a "not so glamorous" mission. But I am not sad in the least!! I know that I will be a tool in his hands no matter where I go.
My dad's comment after I opened my call was "well, It might as well be Siberia!" Because it's so cold there. I looked up their weather trends online and it never gets above 85 or something like that! Kind of crazy, but Still I'm way excited!
My mom called it when she said I will be serving the Native Americans. Because the Sioux tribe is in South Dakota. One of my girls in Upward Bound belongs to that tribe and was excited when I told her I was called there.
I am so ready for this new chapter of my life!
PS I leave August 17th! I won't get home from summer camp till July 1 so I will only have a month to prepare!! but I will love every minute of it!!

2 comments:

  1. Shaela!!! this is SO SO exciting!!! i am so so proud of you!!! you are going to be an amazing missionary!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erika!! I'm way excited :)

    ReplyDelete